Thursday, January 28, 2010
Blue Mosque Istanbul and Karamursel Turkey Postcard Friendship Friday
The Blue Mosque also known as the Sultan Ahmed Mosque is located in the largest city in Turkey,, Istanbul. I visited this wonderful mosque when I was a young teacher on a US Military Base in 1967 near the town of Karamursel, about 2 hours away from Istanbul. It got its name Blue Mosque from the colorful blue tiles on the walls inside. It was built in 1609 during the rule of Ahmed I. While still used as a mosque it has become a popular tourist attraction of Istanbul Turkey. (I have seen the Sultans name spelled either Ahmed or Ahmet)Here our host nation teacher is showing bread cooking in a hot Turkish Oven. The second graders enjoyed the trip and got to sample the bread.
This is the main street of the town of Karamursel on the Sea of Marmara. The closest larger city would be Yalova. Parked on the side of the street is the Military bus which was our school bus. These field trips were fun for the class and very educational. Unfortunately this area of Turkey had a devasting earthquake over a decade ago. I remained on the base for one year with many side trips on the weekends. The highlight of my trip was seeing the whirling dervishes in Konya. At another time I will share a photo of that. (From there I went to England for 2 years, then home)
To see more entries for this week Postcard Friendship Friday go to http://www.cpaphilblog.com/
- ► 2012 (117)
- ► 2011 (148)
- Sioux Indians Chief Whitecalf with his Dancers
- Blue Mosque Istanbul and Karamursel Turkey Postcar...
- Bid on that Montana map if you want it
- Restoration Project for you! 1887 Montana Territor...
- Valentines Day Postcard, CDV and tintype
- Vintage Needle Case for Sewing
- Aquadrome, Luna Park, Coney Island New York Postca...
- The Sweet Brier Rose, Ephemera Booklet
- Cover (Envelope) from James B Shoemaker Justice of...
- Is there more than one Billy the Kid? CDV for PFF
- Honeymoon Express Coney Island New York
- Coney Island Postcards New York
- Visa for travel to the Moon, Postcard Friendship F...
- Beach and boardwalk at Coney Island NY
- Tips for Selling on eBay
- Coney Island Postcard New York Amusement Park
- ▼ January (16)
- ► 2009 (136)