Thursday, July 23, 2009
Ward Charcoal Ovens near Ely NV Postcard Friendship Friday
The Ward Charcoal ovens were operational from 1875 thru 1879 the silver boom years of the Ward Mines. Silver ore was discovered in 1872 when freighters were looking for oxen that were grazing in the Willow Creek Basin area near Ely Nevada. The beehive shaped ovens replaced the old pit system of producing charcoal because the ovens were more efficient way to reduce Pinyon Pine and Juniper in charcoal. The charcoal ovens were used to heat up the silver ore.
When phased out due to depleted ore they had another use, sheltering stockmen and prospectors during foul weather and had a reputation as a hideout for stagecoach bandits. I visited the park and the ovens are huge inside.
Now the teenagers sneak inside and party or so the lady who ran an old trading post near by told us. I passed on the Buffalo hangburgers. In the middle of no where on a dirt road but well worththe visit. Thanks Marie for sponsoring Postcard Friendship Friday. PFF
- ► 2016 (31)
- ► 2015 (36)
- ► 2014 (56)
- ► 2013 (107)
- ► 2012 (117)
- ► 2011 (148)
- ► 2010 (163)
- A little Humor Postcard Friendship Friday
- Tired Tuesday
- Tutorial - How to Make Fabric WORD strips for emb...
- For Sale Artful Blogging Magazine
- Do you have postcards you don't want!!!
- Ward Charcoal Ovens near Ely NV Postcard Friendshi...
- Don't Mess with Texas Postcard
- Nix Plumbing, Dallas Texas Postcard Friendship Fri...
- Antique Letters with Envelopes Letters to Jennie a...
- Texas, Oklahoma Panhandle, Texhoma, Brick streets
- Postcard Scavenger Hunt Night/Lights, Las Vegas NV...
- Pearl Twist Vintage Envelope
- I just started a Facebook page. Trying to figure ...
- Comic Postcards
- Hotel Des Ardennes, Belgium, Festival of Postcards...
- Edward S. Curtis Photographer Postcard Friendship ...
- Lazy Hazy Days of Summer
- ▼ July (19)